Historic Preservation Commission
Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Print

DORR TOWNSHIP: WILLIAM / CHRISTOPHER WALKUP HOUSE

 Landmark Photo: William / Christopher Walkup House

 

HISTORICAL OVERVIEW

 

The William-Christopher Walkup House home site dates back to 1835 and is part of the original "Virginia Settlement," — a land grant to Christopher Walkup, who purchased one thousand acres under the U.S. Government's Homestead Act. Christopher brought his wife (Sabrina Beard) and children (William P. is the fourth of six Walkup offspring) to Dorr Township in 1836 from Virginia.

The first frame house, which stood just beyond the present carriage house, was completed two years later and served as the area's earliest post office, as well as a stagecoach stop on the Lake Geneva run, a temperance inn, and a Presbyterian Church.

According to the History of McHenry County, the 128-year old Victorian homestead was completed in 1869. Built beautifully in the Italianate style, it is located where it is easily seen and recognized, at the intersection of McConnell and County Club Roads.

In 1985, Robert and Sandra Bahls became the ninth owners of the property. Modifications made to the house over the years were removed, and the original floor plan was reinstated. The exterior ornamental woodwork and the porch framework were replaced with historical accuracy, and the interior ornamental plaster was restored. The massive double front doors and main staircase are original. Many other architectural details also remain intact.
(Historical Overview by Maryanne Wanaski.) 

 

Landmark Data Sheet: Chistopher-William Walkup House 

For additional information, documentation from the landmark application process is available in Adobe PDF format. Click on a category below.


Landmark Designation Ordinance

Landmark Designation Review


Application for Landmark Designation

Newspapers Clippings

Photographs

Certificate of Appropriateness
(replace chimney)

View the site in a County Interactive Map

View the site with Google Maps

  


 


HPC Logo

 

« Return to the Landmark Summary Page «

« Return to the Township Listing Page «