The McHenry County Department of Health (MCDH) is committed to provide quality service in the most efficient manner to populations participating in our services. The Nursing Division started the roll out of a Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliant cloud based electronic health record (EHR) system in September 2018 with anticipated improvements in customer service, staff efficiency, data collection, revenue, and building use.
Why Is It Important?
- The EHR system allows for more efficient staff time to complete their duties especially when clients are participating in multiple programs within the Division.
- The EHR system allows the Department to use storage space more efficiently by eliminating paper records.
- EHRs are easier to share, while maintaining HIPAA compliance, with healthcare providers and facilities, county health departments, Illinois Department of Public Health, Illinois Department of Health and Human Services and third party payers (medical insurance companies) to improve client continuity of care and Department reimbursement.
- The EHR system provides improved clean data source required to be reported for grants as well as establishing benchmarks and measures for internal quality improvement measures and health indicators.
- Reduction in overall paper usage from using EHR can result in savings over time.
- EHR system allows for direct billing to third party payers for services provided, resulting in reduction in data entry errors and improving staff efficiency.
Relationship to the Strategic Plan Long-Term Goal: Operate at the Lowest Possible Tax Levy
The initial investment of the system and the training of staff will result in long-term cumulative savings by reducing paper usage, improve reimbursement from third party payers, reduce building space needed for storage, and improve staff efficiency.
Criteria will be measured bi-annually using comparison to historical data to time reports from electronic health record system as follows:
- Average staff time compiling data from EHR for grant and internal reporting; and
- Average time for client visits.
The data for this metric has not yet accrued, but it will be posted as it becomes available on a biannual basis.
For more information about the McHenry County Department of Health, please visit http://www.mchenrycountyil.gov/county-government/departments-a-i/health-department