Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic the VAC Office is closed to visitors in an effort to not only protect our staff but also those of our clients who are in the higher risk categories. The VAC is continuing to provide services remotely. If you are looking for assistance please contact the VAC at (815)334-4229 and leave a message. Please allow up to one business day for a veterans service officer to respond.
April 15, 2020 Veterans Assistance Commission Meeting is Canceled due to COVID-19 Shutdown.
The Veterans Assistance Commission of McHenry County Provides services to the local veterans community in the areas of Financial Assistance, VA Claims & Advocacy, Transportation to the North Chicago VA Medical Center, and Referrals Assistance.
- Shelter: Rental or Mortgage assistance is paid directly to landlords / mortgage companies on behalf of eligible veterans. We can assist placing homeless veterans into motels, hotels, or appropriate shelters.
- Utilities: Payments can be made for electric, heat, water & sewage, trash removal, and medically required telephone service.
- Food & Household Items: We can provide food vouchers for groceries, hygiene products, and household cleaning supplies.
- Transportation: Fuel vouchers are available to assist eligible veterans with proof of insurance.
- Independent Living: We can help veterans remain independent longer by assisting with payments to Independent Living Services.
A family member may be permitted to ride along in order to assist the veteran.