McHenry County 2040 Transportation Plan
Entire Document (large):
- Existing Conditions Report (January, 2012) [PDF]
- Service Recommendations and Implementation Report (June, 2013) [PDF]
Existing Conditions Report
- Introduction, Prior Studies, Demographics & Land Use
- Travel Patterns & Existing Transit Services
- Roadway Conditions, Public Involvement & Appendix
Service Recommendations and Implementation Report
- Introduction and Analysis of Existing Fixed Bus Routes
- Short and Long Term Service Strategies
- Needed Infrastructure
- Implementation, Funding & Appendix
As one step in implementing the County Transit Plan (see below for plan details) a pilot program launched in the spring of 2010 that enables trips between the current dial-a-ride community areas of Crystal Lake, McHenry, and Woodstock for the general public. Seniors and people with disabilities also have more options. All riders on the new service must register. Click here to see details and to register.
The McHenry County Transit Plan was adopted as the official long-range transit plan for McHenry County in November 2005. The project was initiated by former County Board Chairman Mike Tryon and was overseen by the Public Transportation Authority Commission and the McHenry County Division of Transportation. TranSystems Corporation, a transportation planning consulting firm, was engaged by the County to perform the work and continues to be involved in plan implementation.
- Assessed existing conditions – Created a comprehensive picture of what transit services (public and private) are operating in McHenry County. Reviewed existing and anticipated demographics to gain an understanding of future growth in the county.
- Involved the public – An active program of outreach to key stakeholders, employers, public officials and the general public took place.
- Focused on the needs of McHenry County employers and workers – Developed an understanding of the employment related transportation issues within McHenry County and determined what types of jobs were attracting employees into the county as well as those causing residents to leave the county for work. Surveys of employers and residents were conducted.
- Identified opportunities for coordination of existing or planned paratransit services – The plan makes recommendations for opportunities to provide a higher level of service by coordinating existing services including sponsored paratransit services for the use of specific clients.
- Developed a transit plan – With the input, analysis and identification of opportunities, the heart of this project was identifying recommended transit services within the county. The recommendations are grouped into implementation phases (immediate, short, medium and long term) and cost estimates for each service and implementation phase are included.
- Presentation of the Transit Plan – Public presentation of the plan was made. The public and key constituent groups provided input and comments throughout the project, culminating in a public presentation of the project results and recommendations.
- Transit Plan Summary Report (August, 2005) [PDF]
The Implementation Task Force (ITF) was initiated by the County Board in 2006 to implement recommendations from the McHenry County Transit Plan. The ITF meets regularly to continue this process. More information regarding future meeting dates and meeting archives can be found here.
- Community Transportation Association
- Metra Commuter Rail
- Pace Suburban Bus
- Regional Transportation Authority