What is MCRide?
MCRide Dial-a- Ride is a great way to get around McHenry County. Whether you need transportation for work, school, shopping, medical appointments or just to visit a friend, MCRide provides an affordable and flexible way to travel!
As a dial-a-ride program, MCRide service is "on-demand" and vehicles do not travel in a fixed route each day. Riders schedule their trips in advance and the vehicle provides curb-to-curb service from the rider's desired pick-up and drop-off destinations. MCRide is a shared-ride service, so vehicles may make stops for other passengers.
How Do I Reserve a Trip?Call 1-800-451-4599 (or use 711 for the Illinois Relay Service) to schedule a ride. Select "McHenry County" from the automated prompt and a live person will help you to schedule a ride. Spanish speaking call takers are available.
Reservation hours are Monday-Friday from 5:30 am to 6:00 pm and Saturday-Sunday from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm. On the weekends, because of low staff levels, call takers only make same-day reservations. Trips for Saturday, Sunday or Monday can be reserved on the preceding Friday. The Call Center is also open (to take trip reservations) on Holidays from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Seniors and individuals with a disability can reserve their trips up to seven (7) days in advance. The general public (all riders) can reserve their trips 2 days in advance (starting January 1, 2020). If you are using MCRide for both legs of a trip (going and coming), remember to make both trip reservations at the same time!
When Can I Ride?
MCRide operates according to the schedule shown below. Observed Holidays include: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
|Monday - Friday||6:00 AM - 7:00 PM|
|Saturday - Sunday||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
MCRide User Testimonials
“It couldn’t have been a better experience – both on the phone and on the bus. The several persons I spoke with on the phone were all most helpful & accommodating…This is a wonderful program all the way around: superior service end superior value!”
--Tom from Huntley, IL
How Much is a Trip?
|Base Fare||First 5 Miles||Each Additional Mile|
|Individual with a Disability||$1.50||$0.25|
Where Can I Ride?
All individuals (general public) are eligible for travel to/from/within the following locations (these are the green areas on the map and travel areas do not need to be adjacent):
- City of Crystal Lake
- City of Harvard
- City of Marengo
- City of McHenry
- City of Woodstock
- Marengo Township
- Riley Township
- Village of Fox River Grove (including areas in Lake County) - service beginning 1/1/2019
- Village of Hebron - service beginning 9/1/2019
- Village of Huntley (including areas in Kane County)
- Village of Johnsburg
- Village of Richmond
- Village of Ringwood
- Village of Union
- Within three-quarters of a mile of:
- Route 120 between Woodstock and McHenry
- Route 14 between Woodstock and Crystal Lake
- Route 31 between Crystal Lake and McHenry
Additionally, everyone can travel to and from the following point destinations. (A point destination is specific location that would normally be considered outside of the general public service area. However, as a designated point destination, all riders can travel to and from these locations.)
- Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital
- BraveHearts Therapeutic Riding Center
- Illinois Railway Museum
- Lake in the Hills Park-and-Ride
- McHenry County Conservation District Sites
- Brookdale Conservation Area
- Glacial Park-Lost Valley Visitor Center
- The Hollows Conservation Area
- McHenry County Division of Transportation
- PADS Day Center on Kishwaukee Valley Road (soon to become New Horizons Addiction Recovery Services)
- Valley Hi Nursing Home
- Transfer points to Lake County transit services
- Fox Lake Metra Station
- Island Foods in Island Lake
- Walgreens in Lakemoor
Seniors (60+) and individuals with disabilities are eligible for trips to and from these additional locations (these are the green and tan areas on the map and do not need to be contiguous):
- Alden Township - service beginning 1/1/2020
- Dorr Township
- Grafton Township
- Greenwood Township
- McHenry Township
- Nunda Township
- Richmond Township
If you have questions about where you are eligible to travel, please contact the McHenry County Division of Transportation at (815) 334-4981 or [email protected].
What Else Should I Know?
- Individuals 60 years and older are eligible for the senior fare. A valid date of birth must be provided to the Call Center in order for a rider to be considered a senior.
- Up to two children 7 years or younger can ride free per fare paying adult.
- Transfers will be allowed from Pace fixed bus routes (routes 806, 807, 808, and 550).
- Pace passes and the Ventra app are not accepted on MCRide.
- For riders that need to make the same trips at the same times each week, MCRide offers a limited number of "subscriptions." Subscriptions eliminate the need for contacting the Call Center to book recurring trips.
- To get a subscription for recurring trips, you must first demonstrate the reliability of your travel by riding to the same place at the same time at least twice a week for an extended duration.
- After that, each time you call to make a reservation, ask the Call Center staff if you can be placed on subscription.
- Because there are limited subscriptions for each time slot/hour, it may take a while before one becomes available - especially if you are travelling during peak times.
- To reserve a trip on MCRide call 1-800-451-4599 or use 711 for the Illinois Relay Service. Reservations can be made Monday-Friday from 5:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Saturday-Sunday 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (Because of low staff levels on the weekends, call takers can only make same-day trip reservations on Saturday and Sunday. Reservations for Saturday, Sunday or Monday trips can be made on Fridays.)
- For questions or comments about this service, call the McHenry County Division of Transportation at 815-334-4981. An online form is also available. Click here to access the online transit customer service form. Please be specific in describing your question and provide contact information if you would like us to reply to you.
- To sign up for periodic e-mail updates about this service, subscribe here.
- Service compliments and complaints may be submitted through Pace Customer Relations at 800-606-1282 or (TTY) 847-364-5093.
History of MCRide
When MCRide formally began in 2012, local dial-a-ride services were consolidated to form one coordinated program. The program started with three municipalities and quickly added three townships to the service area. Since that time, the program has grown to cover twelve municipalities and eight townships.
MCRide allowed for previously unavailable inter-community trips and provided one consistent set of policies, one phone number, and one transit provider. This made it easier and more efficient for suburban commuters, seniors and persons with disabilities to schedule and use dial-a-ride services in McHenry County.
MCRide has improved access to jobs and schools and has provided greater mobility to all individuals. This program receives a portion of its funding from the Federal Transit Administration of the U.S. Department of Transportation through grants administered by the Regional Transportation Authority (Section 5310 Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities).
Title VI Program Notice
No person in the United States shall on the ground of race, color, or national origin be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal Financial assistance. (42 USC 2000d)
Asimismo se le informa que sus datos no podrán ser difundidos sin su consentimiento expreso, salvo las excepciones previstas en la Ley. Lo anterior, de conformidad con lo establecido mediante acuerdo Title VI de la Civil Rights (Título VI de los Derechos de Civiles) Act de 1964.
The final MCRide Title VI Program can be found here, which includes an explanation of the complaint and appeal process. To file an MCRide Title VI complaint on the grounds of race, color, or national origin please download the following form and follow the instructions (haga clic aquí para español). The appeal form can be accessed here.
- Pace Suburban Bus Services
- Regional Transportation Authority (RTA)
- Transit Map for Lake-McHenry Counties (RTA)
- Metra (Commuter Rail)
- Ride In Kane
- Ride Lake County