McHenry County currently faces a critical shortage of psychiatrists to serve the community. As a community mental health board organized under the Community Mental Health Act (the Act), the McHenry County Mental Health Board ("MHB") is charged with executing such programs as may be necessary to provide mental health services to the community. The McHenry County Mental Health Board Psychiatric Loan Recognition Program (“Loan Program”) has been created to assist in the recruitment and retention of professional psychiatric physicians who specialize in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of mental illness.
Through the Loan Program, participating psychiatrists working in or for facilities or organizations supported by the MHB will be eligible to have the MHB reimburse a portion of their medical school loan obligation(s). The Loan Program is adopted not as a contract between the MHB and the participant, but as a recognition program whereby the MHB rewards the participant for service to the community in which they have provided to those in need as a long-term employee or contracted affiliate of an area mental health provider.
To be considered for participation in the Loan Program, applicants must:
1. Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, or lawful permanent resident.
2. Have received a medical degree from an accredited medical school in the United States or Canada or from an
international medical school listed by the World Health Organization;
3. Be eligible for American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Inc. certification ;
4. Have postgraduate qualified educational loan obligation(s) (as defined in 26 U.S.C. 221) leading to a medical degree
specializing in psychiatry (“Loans”).
5. Have a current and unrestricted medical license to practice as a psychiatrist in Illinois.
6. Have an executed agreement, contingent only on acceptance into the Loan Program, with an organization supported by
the MHB to provide psychiatric services to individuals within the County. The term of the contract must not expire
before five (5) years from the participant’s acceptance into the Loan Program.
7. Be sponsored and recommended for participation in the Loan Program by the prospective employer, affiliate, or other
8. Be new to practicing post residency psychiatry within McHenry County boundaries.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Approval and initiation into the Loan Program, therefore, is subject to funds availability, appropriations, community needs (including the area demand for and supply of psychiatrists), and other issues that may come before the MHB.